Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Wednesday, October 21, 2020

SpaceX Starship Test Hop


Starship SN8 20km Hop w/ corrected landing burn.
C-bass Productions

It looks real, it fooled me the first time I watched it, but then I read the blurb and realized it's only a comptuer generated simulation.

This video is of a planned test hop to 50,000 feet. It's a little unnerving when they shut the engine off at the top. They aren't in orbit, there's nothing holding it up anymore, it's going to start falling and if they can't restart the engines, it will smash into the ground.

Seems odd that 3 engines would be enough to lift such a large vessel, but it's mostly empty, much like a beer can with a couple of ounces of beer left in the bottom, so 3 engines is plenty.

Via Silicon Greybeard, my go to guy for SpaceX related news.

1 comment:

xoxoxoBruce said...

I wonder why it would fall laying on it's side with maximum wind resistance, the engine end would be the heaviest so it should come down butt first. Then on it's side when the engines fire it should move in that direction but doesn't it turns butt down for a landing. I guess it depends on who made the video and what they were trying to show.
Yeah, I think too much.