Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, October 10, 2020

The Mythical 45


Sublime - Santeria (Official Video)
(Daddy's got a new .45)
TheofficialSublime

The 45 caliber M1911 pistol got its start with US Army during Moro Rebellion in the Philippines. It's still very popular. I never had a strong desire to own one, they're kind of big and heavy, only hold a few rounds of ammunition, and because the bullet is a largish chunk of lead, the ammunition is expensive. 9mm automatic pistols are smaller, lighter, cheaper, hold more bullets and the ammo is cheaper. But a 9mm is not a 45.

My Everyday Carry
No it's not a real 45, it's just a butane lighter, but whoever made it thought it was important to include '45' in the logo. No you can't see it, but trust me, it's there.

From the title sequence for Behzat Ç.
Turkish TV detective show we've been watching.

I never had a strong desire to own a 45, mostly for all the rational reasons I mentioned above, but then the other day I inexplicably got a hankering for a fancy 45, so I go looking around on the net. As you might expect, there is no end of fancy 45's out there.  People are weird, man. Why would you buy one of those gaudy, over-priced play pretties when a plain steel 45 works just as well?


Makes no sense, but I still want one. Maybe when I get the new house project done I'll buy one for myself for Christmas. In 2021.

P.S. The price of ammunition only matters if you are going to be shooting thousands of rounds. If you are only shooting a hundred rounds a year, which should be plenty enough to keep your hand in, the price difference between 45 ACP and 9 mm is just background noise. And when's the last time I went shooting anyway? I should rectify that.



No comments: