Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, January 10, 2021

Google, My Evil Friend


NOBODY KNOW MY EVIL FRIENDS PUSHED ME INTO THE WELL TILL MY GHOST CAME BACK WITH POWERS FOR REVENGE
Nigerian Movies Plus - New Movies

Got a $5.46 charge from Google on my credit card last month. I have no idea what it was for, so I filed a dispute on-line and just got a robo reply:
After reviewing your claim, we were unable to confirm fraudulent activity in this case, so no refund will be provided by Google at this time. If you would like to pursue the matter further, you can reach out to your financial institution.

Well, if you were committing fraud, you would deny it too. So I go to the Chase website and point and click until I get to this:

Keep in mind:  If you didn't authorize this transaction, call us right away at the number on the back of your card.

So I call, slog through the robo-cop menu system until I finally get to a real person where we go through the usual sign / counter sign / secret handshake rigamarole. We finally get to the heart of the matter and he tells me that the dispute resolution department is closed on weekends, I'll have to call back on Monday. Of course.

The $5.46 is inconsequential, but if they do it once, they might do it again, so it's best to squash it right now. It's a probably a result of all my passwords being compromised when the Vimeo extension to the Chrome browser got hacked. Right now I just want to know what the heck these hackers bought that cost $5.46. I mean, that's a weird price, right? Seems like every price in the world these days ends with .99. What costs $5.46? Oh! I just had a thought. If it was done in foreign country, the price might have ended with .99 in the local currency, but when it went through the currency convertor it turned it into this weird price.

I could go on about the pros and cons of the technological morass that is Google / Amazon and the credit card companies, but that could take me forever and I think it's time for lunch, so I'm going to stop here.

*The movie is here because this was the first thing that popped up when I Googled the title, and since Nigeria is famous for scams it seems like it might appropriate header for this post. Also, a movie from Nigeria? I mean it makes sense, Nigeria is a prosperous country, well, some parts of it are, so why wouldn't they be making movies? I don't think I've seen any real African movies. I mean I've seen a few Hollywood movies filmed in Africa, but's not exactly the same thing, is it? Anyway, I only watched the first minute or so, so I have no idea it is any good. I'll try and watch a little more later.

Update November 2021 replaced missing video with something from the same outfit with a similar title. The original title included the phrase 'pushed me from the roof' while this one says 'pushed me into the well'.

Update April 2022 noticed the video is missing. Went to the poster's page and they have over 150 similar movies. Take your pick.



No comments: