Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, June 19, 2021

Possum Kingdom


The Toadies - Possum Kingdom (Official Music Video)
TheToadiesVEVO

I don't quite understand how my mind works. I'l find a tune on YouTube and I'll play the shit out it for days or weeks and then I'll be tired of it and can't stand to listen to it one more time, so I go looking for something different. This is this week's hot pick.

When I fire it up, I see bits of the video and it looks like maybe they stole a clip from some movie, so I go looking and I find this story in the Texas Monthly. Seems the lead guy, who wrote the song, is something of a story teller. He concocted a story about a murder at Possum Kingdom Lake and it was such a good story that it has taken on a life of its own. Never mind that it's entirely fiction, it now has a bit of a cult following.

Possum Kingdom Lake (map) is in north central Texas, roughly midway between Dallas, Abilene and Witchita Falls. Looking at some pictures, it reminds me of Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri, setting for the TV series Ozark.

Possum Kingdom Lake was the site of the 2018 Red Bull Cliff Diving Championship:

Red Bull Cliff Diving World Series 2018 - Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas (USA) - Trailer from World of Freesports on Vimeo.

It took some time to find just where in the lake the cliff diving competition was held. Hell's Gate is the place.

Red Bull is kind of nuts. They have made a fortune selling soda pop for $5 a can and then they are using that fortune to promote all kinds of sports that don't fit in the mainstream, like mountain biking, air racing, high altitude balloon jumping and cliff diving. Makes me happy.



1 comment:

Chris said...

The Red Bull Air Races are insane. Tiny propeller planes, very powerful, going pretty fast, not scary in a straight line. But they do not fly in a straight line. They fly a tight slalom course very close to the ground, or the water, or the forest, or whatever. Beautiful and amazing venues. Each timed run is over in about a minute. Many runs are required to whittle the field of 14 planes down to the final winner. The margin of victory is typically a second or less. Definitely worth a look. Check it out on YouTube; keep your barf bag handy.