Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, October 14, 2007

ADD

ADD is an acronym for Attention Deficit Disorder and is sometimes used to describe people who have trouble paying attention. For instance: children in class. I have wondered about the "Disorder" part of this, as order is what those in power are trying to achieve, and anyone who disrupts their orderly world or does not fit into one of their arbitrary places in society disturbs the established order, and so may be called disorderly. People who are easily bored with what passes for education and/or entertainment are labeled as being deficient in their ability to pay attention, and since they do not fit in their assigned slot, it is labeled as a disorder.

None of the accounts of ADD made much sense to me until I read this one:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Attention-Deficit-Disorder-1526/ADD-33.htm

It is from a woman who describes much of what I have been feeling. I never made the connection between what was going on in my mind and what was happening in my world until I read this.

I am still opposed to calling Attention Deficiency a Disorder. Rather, I regard the 95% of the population that do not have it as deficient. I suspect what is being labeled as Attention Deficiency is more of a survival trait. In the present day United States life is very orderly and survival is taken for granted, but fitting in is key. However, in warfare, adaptability, flexibility and the ability to instantly assess a situation and decide what action to take RIGHT NOW becomes more important for survival than the ability to stand in line and listen attentively. Nothing focuses your attention better than someone trying to kill you.


No comments: