Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Friday, November 6, 2009

Rant of the Hour

The first time I saw this poem, I thought it was stupid. (It was probably in the movie G.I. Jane. That's were I get my literary edukatin'.) I saw a bunch of birds sitting on a wire on the way home this afternoon, and it popped into my head, so I decided I would tell you just how I felt about it. I still think it's stupid.
Self-pity

I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.

DH Lawrence
I mean, how does he know whether a wild thing is feeling sorry for itself or not? He can read their little animal minds? I don't think so. He is equating their lack of verbal communication with lack of feeling. Ignorant fool. Complete lack of imagination. I can imagine every one of those miserable critters feeling sorry for themselves, matter of fact, I think that's probably all they ever do. Wish I was warmer, wish I had more to eat, wish Mary liked me better, yada, yada, yada.

2 comments:

sharon said...

Indeed so! How the H-ll would Mr. Lawrence know, with so little empathy for the creature studied. YOU, dear Perg-y, exhibit FAR more than said writer. I had a D O G bring me the l-a-r-g-e Morton salt container when I was complaining about a dish I had prepared & brought to table, that it was saltless. Not only did this set me back in wonderment at the time, but only now as I'm writing, do I detect this D O G perhaps had a sense of humor as well. She knew I used salt a "little" too much!

sharon said...

PS: I didn't direct our dog to get anything- she just went and got-EXACTLY what I was complaining about. More than Intelligence.
Elephants circle a dead one , gently rub it with their trunks, and moan.
More than emotion.