Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Talent

Loretta Lynn (née Webb; born on April 14, 1932) is an American country-music singer-songwriter and author. Born in Butcher Hollow, near Paintsville, Kentucky, USA, to a coal-miner father.

Came across Coal Miner's Daughter yesterday afternoon while I was flipping channels. I'm not a big fan of country music, but I did have some idea that Loretta Lynn was kind of a big deal. I didn't realize just how big a deal she was. Which leads me to Nashville Cats by The Lovin' Spoonful, where in John Sebastian sings "there's thirteen hundred and fifty-two guitar cases in Nashville and any one that unpacks his guitar could play twice as better than I will". Which reminds me of Robert A. Heinlein's line about how 'a man should be able to program a computer, write a sonnet and conduct a war. Specialization is for insects'. Which reminds me of a line in True Detective uttered by Matthew McConaughey (Rust) about how "Life's barely long enough to get good at one thing." Which leads to my recalling someone once telling me that 'to be a good soccer player a person needs to touch the ball ten thousand times'.


2 comments:

CGHill said...

But "Nashville Cats" blew it a little later on, with that reference to yellow Sun records from Nashville. At the time, the Sun label was based in Memphis. (Eventually, as do all things musical, it did move to Nashville.)

Chuck Pergiel said...

That reference went right by me. Record labels never made much impression on me, but then I got my music off the radio.