Is Thursday something special in the Google-verse? Because now it's working. Yesterday it wouldn't even pretend to work. Downloaded and installed the 32-bit remote host package, it tells me it's already installed. Downloaded and installed the 64-bit version and it tells me it's the wrong architecture. That's reassuring. For a while there I was afraid 64-bit had become some kind of new-speak for ungawdly amounts of memory. Issued the cryptic start-host-service command. Nice command, doesn't even acknowledge that it has been invoked. I suppose that's par for a service.
I got connected for about 30 seconds and then the Chrome browser or Linux or both crashed. Restarted and was able to reestablish a connection, but now I need a new access code. This is may not be the solution I am looking for. The whole point is it to have constant, uninterrupted access to the Linux box. If I have to keep a keyboard and monitor plugged in so I can restart the remote-desktop every time it crashes, that kind of defeats the purpose.
When I got connected it was kind of slick. The virtual Linux desktop was scaled to fit the smaller Chromebook screen, which made it kind of hard to read. But the Chromebook mouse's cursor is showing up on the remote desktop image, and on the real Linux monitor, so I could ignore the virtual image and just use the virtual cursor on the real screen.
The upshot was I was able to scan a couple of documents using the Linux box, and now I am back on the Chromebook. Unfortunately, during the time I was writing this the remote connection died.