Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, May 20, 2018

Begali Telegraphy Keys


KTXL Fox 40 new Interviews the W6SFM Samuel F Morse Amateur Radio Club

Roberta mentions the Bengali sideswiper telegraph key in her report on her trip to the Dayton Hamvention. I found this video on the Bengali website. It's notable because they compare an old technology (Morse code) with a new one (texting), and also because we have female talking heads delivering a report without all the gush and blather so common in TV news reporting. I'm impressed.

Or maybe it's just that Fox news has designed their reporting for people like me, that is people who are old and white (and therefore wrong). I am beginning to think that people who denigrate Fox news are idiots, but I'm wrong, so that's okay.

I am a little concerned that precision mechanical devices are going the way of the dodo bird. It used to be that we were surrounded by these things (key locks, pushbutton radios for automobiles, typewriters, wrist watches, rotary dials on telephones) but they have all been replaced by electronical gizmos. Maybe it's okay. There are more people that ever before which means there are more subjects that are being explored, so maybe the precision mechanical gizmo niche will always have proponents who will ensure its survival.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a "fire proof" key from WWI. When I saw it I had an image of a guy in a bunker tapping out his last message while the place burned. (I'm sure it means it won't generate a spark to start a fire) Marc