Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Wednesday, May 1, 2024

KQRZ

KQRZ

Came across this station while driving. I've come across it before and it's pretty great. 'Real Oldies' is how they bill themselves. The only problem with this station is that it is a low power station, so by the time I've gone a few miles down the road it has faded into oblivion. Something prompted me to wonder if maybe they had a website, and sure enough they do. Then I realized that anybody anywhere in the world could tune into these guys, so here I am telling the world about these guys - KQRZ Real Oldies

They've been playing Public Service Announcements where Joe Walsh is shilling for amateur radio. Did I hear that right? Joe Walsh? Really? Um, yeah, really:


Joe Walsh Ham Radio PSA for The ARRL
Michael Huey AKA W7ZI

This is as weird as finding out the Rod Stewart built a monster model railroad layout in his attic. This is how I know Joe Walsh:


Joe Walsh - Life's Been Good
Joe Ramen

Usually I go for some kind of action with my music videos, but I really like this still image.

My friend Jack and The Silicon Graybeard are both amateur radio men.

P. S. The logo on the website has a black background, but when I copy the image and paste it into my blog it has a white background, so I started poking around looking for ways to turn the background black. I looked at this and I looked at that and then I realized when I opened it in Google Photos, it had a black background, so I took a screen shot and cropped it and here we are.


2 comments:

SiGraybeard said...

Is KQRZ on your FM band? You say you only hear it over a small area, which could be a low power or even unlicensed broadcaster. If they're following FCC rules, they're in the bottom few MHz of the FM band.

Based on a quick look an hour ago, they look like a good station, so thanks for the link.

QRZ is one of the amateur radio "Q signals." With a question mark it's "who's calling me?" and without, it's "you're being called by (fill in the blank)." Maybe the station name is supposed to mean "we're calling you."

Did you watch the second one of Joe Walsh's videos where he gives his ham radio call? WB6ACU.

Chuck Pergiel said...

KQRZ operates on 100.7 MHz, which is just north of Z100 'Portland's #1 Hit Music Station' at 100.3. This places it smack in the middle of the upper half of the broadcast band. Maybe we have different rules on the west coast.