Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Friday, November 28, 2008

Gmail Email


I had an email conversation with Chip and Stu about email. Naturally, I waxed eloquent, so I am reposting my thoughts here.

I have to recommend gmail. No spam, and as far as I can tell, no missed messages either. Also, you don't need your own computer to check your mail. Of course, on the down side, you need a reliable connection to the internet. High speed also helps.

Yahoo mail gets a black mark. I have an account there I use in my ongoing job search. It works pretty well, but it did put a couple of messages from a prospective employer in the SPAM folder where they sat for a couple of days before I noticed them.

I also have a hotmail account that I use for all Linux related stuff. It doesn't get much traffic. It was a while before I realized the incongruity of using a Microsoft product to work with the Anti-Gates.

[The orginal message I got from Stu was sent as a BCC (Blind Carbon Copy).] Also, there was no indication that I was a BCC recipient. I have used BCC a couple of times. Once it worked very well. The original recipient received no notification that anyone else got the message, and the BCC recipients were notified of such. Another time I tried it the original recipient was notified that it was also sent to other people, though not to who they were. I found that unacceptable.