Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Africa

Major Airports in Nigeria
Lagos (lower left), Abuja (center) and Kaduna (upper right)
There was a story in the WSJ this morning about problems with airports in Nigeria that quoted one official who said the security problem was not as bad as some people claimed, after all "there haven't been any kidnappings since November",  which I thought was so reassuring I would post it as my quote for the day.

But now when I get around to looking it up on the net (because the WSJ's new stuff is hidden behind a paywall), I find that a couple of Germans were kidnapped there TODAY.

So they are planning on closing the airport in Abuja in order to make some repairs, which kind of makes me wonder just how old it is and what I find is just short of miraculous. It has been there forever, or at least that is the conclusion I draw since nowhere could I find any claims as to when or who built it.

Update: Wikipedia Reference Desk delivers some answers:
Our Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria article mentions that Kaduna was one of the sites chosen for airfields by the British Air Ministry "in the early 1930s", although this is presumably Old Kaduna AirportAlansplodge (talk) 01:59, 26 February 2017 (UTC)

No comments: