Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

The Sheik of Araby


(1922) The Sheik of Araby - Frederick Granger
Duncan Automatic Stop

Regarding the disappearance of Jamal Khashoggi, the Saudi journalist who went into the Saudi Arabian consulate in Istanbul, Turkey, last week and never came out, California Bob has written some new lyrics for the tune The Sheik of Araby.
I'm the sheikh of Araby,
I'm prickly as can be.
To my immense surprise, he
Dared to criticize me.
To change a man's perspective,
A bone saw proves effective.
I'll start below the knee,
I'm the sheikh of Araby!
Rumor has it that Jamal was horrifically murdered when he went to pick up an innocuous document from the consulate.

I wonder what is driving this investigation. Erdogan (the Turkish President) is no friend of the free press, so without some kind of outside pressure, he might have let this get swept under the rug. Could it be that he is actually offended by this murder? One could hope that is the case.

What made MBS think he could get away with this? The New York Times offers this insight:
The answer, I think, is that dictatorships are inherently obtuse. Dictators live in their own self-created bubble of adulation and impunity, which leads them to huge misjudgments when they are forced to act outside of the bubble.
Update September 2020 replaced missing video.

No comments: