Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, May 2, 2020

English Lead

Lead
I'm looking at the list of articles Ross sent me and I notice one entitled The Secret History of Lead. Now I know I've written some posts about lead, but where are they? Well, we could search, and I do, but most of what turns up is lead (as in leading the charge), not plumbum. Bah, dad gum English language anyway. Ought to be a way to distinguish lead from lead, eh? So I go through my entire archive of posts picking out the ones where lead refers to the metallic element and attaching the label Lead Metal to them. Turns out there were 28 such posts. A typical page of search results would have 30 instances of the word 'lead' and only one that referred to the metal, which means I probably paged through close to a thousand posts. Lead is evidently one of my more popular words.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every time I open a new package of wire or cable from China, including Christmas light strings, there is a warning label that says that handling this wire or cable will expose you to lead. I don't know why. In any case, I usually wear gloves and wash my hands afterwards.

Your pal,
James.

PS: On my Kindle, I am reading "In the South Seas" by Robert Louis Stevenson. Fascinating.

Chuck Pergiel said...

Warnings about lead might be because they are using lead based solder to attach the connectors.