Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Harney County Wildlife Refuge

Steen Mountains seen from Malheur Lake
It's on the front page everywhere, lots of people have got something to say about it. The problem I have is that I haven't been able to find out just how this blew up. What I did find was that a couple of ranchers were convicted of setting fires on federal land, for which they served moderate prison terms. The news reports I have seen call it arson, but what did they actually burn? A thousand acres of primeval forest? Or a couple of acres of sagebrush? Given the location, I tend toward the later. Fires burn out in the wilds all the time.
    How is it that these two cases ended up in Federal court? I smell something fishy. Perhaps we have a rancher who is chafing under rules of the Federal Bureaucracy and sets about to tweak their collective noses. Or maybe we have a prosecutor who is trying to make a name for himself. And if the new prison terms are so egregious, where is the ACLU?

No comments: