Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Thermal Imaging


How Hand Warmers Work (THERMAL IMAGING) - Periodic Table of Videos Periodic Videos

Kind of a cool video, and kind of a weird phenomena: having to have a perfectly clean container and solution. I'm still not sure what the click does to start the state transformation process, but I like the thermal images.

FLIR DM284 Imaging Multimeter with IGM
Yesterday I'm looking for a new multi-meter on Amazon and I come across one from FLIR that includes a thermal imaging camera. Since electronic failures are often heat related (a component gets hot because it is failing, or it fails because it has gotten too hot), I can see how that could be a useful feature for people who work with electronics. The price ($750) is a bit rich for me. I'm looking at the $15 models.

GHD Hair Straightener Iron
Me, I'm just trying to fix my daughter's hair-straightening iron (more heat). My immediate reaction to her report that it was broken was 'just buy another one'. I mean they only cost $30 or so. Well, yes and no. She's been down the $30 road and those devices don't last very long, so she went and sprung for a GHD hair iron for something like $150. It has lasted eight years, so maybe she knows what she's talking about.

There is a whole subculture out there involved in the repair of GHD hair irons. Unfortunately, mine seems to suffering from some kind of electronic ailment and there are no replacement circuit boards available.

No comments: