Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, November 24, 2016

How Not To Do Mass Transit


'Don't kill my trams' met NLse ondertitels

I don't particularly care for mass transit, mostly because I am not willing to pay the exorbitant rent that is required to live in a place where it might actually be handy. Or maybe I just don't like being around other people. But I can see that it could be useful, especially in those places where traffic is congested and parking is non-existent.

This video does a good job of laying out the problems with mass transit planning. They are not unique to Amsterdam, they apply to any large city. I'm not quite sure what they mean by 'metropolis'. I thought any big city qualified as a metropolis, but maybe that's not the case. Maybe metropolii are not a good idea. Yes, I know, the idea of a city with a population of a zillion people is impressive, but I wonder if it is really good, useful or beneficial. Maybe we would all be better off if cities weren't any bigger than a million people and were at least 100 miles apart.

This video was made by S. G. Collins. I've been following him for a while now. He has a day job as a cameraman, and he produces his own little videos on the side. Some of them are pretty great.

No comments: