Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Clarinet


Swing Republic - Together (feat. Artie Shaw)

When I was in grade school I took up the clarinet. I was never any good at it. I suspect that was because whatever sounds I made never sounded like music to me. They were just a series of notes. The notes were written on the page, I moved my fingers and blew and sound came out. But it never sounded like a tune to me. I don't know what it sounded like to anybody else. Nobody complained, but nobody complimented me either. 

I also remember making an elaborate crayon drawing of a band playing on stage and the guy in front playing the clarinet. 

I do not remember what inspired me to choose the clarinet or make that drawing, and since then I have not heard anybody playing a clarinet that made any impression. That is, until I heard this song by Electro Swing Republic featuring Artie Shaw. Now that clarinet caught my ear but good. Artie Shaw is from the big band / swing music era, but that's all I know. I pulled up a YouTube video of Artie playing Alone Together, but it doesn't seem to be the same tune. I don't know where Electro Swing found this tune, but I think I may have found my clarinet inspiration.

No comments: