Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Wall Street Journal


CLARICE MAYNE - I WAS A GOOD LITTLE GIRL TILL I MET YOU

I got a subscription to The Wall Street Journal care of some extra points on one of my wife's credit cards. This has happened to us before, I don't know exactly what the circumstances were, but for some reason our account has become inactive and we have accumulated some points, not nearly enough to buy an airline ticket, but the credit card company feels compelled to compensate us in some way, probably to avoid one of those annoying class action law suits, so they gave us a subscription to a magazine or a newspaper.
    This time, in amongst the fluff and dross, was the WSJ. That was an easy choice. Some of their editorials and opinion pieces show the sophistication, erudition and critical thinking of Fred Flintstone, but most of the articles, even the ones about really obscure stuff, are generally pretty interesting, and a heck of lot better than the stuff that passes for news from most other sources.
   I was complaining to a friend not too long ago about the dearth of good sources of information and he told me he subscribed to Financial Times (London). I don't know whether it's any better than the WSJ, but it's from London, which is on the wrong side of the pond. I'm an American, I'll stick with the WSJ, at least until somebody offers me a free subscription to their competitor.
    I did read the Economist for a while, but it eventually became apparent that they were in somebody's pocket. They were pushing some kind of bullshit agenda that sounds like 'something cooked up by some first year sociology students while sipping $5 lattes'. (That's not an exact quote. I read it recently, but I can't remember where. It sure stuck with me. Probably because I remember being a stupid college student.)

    Anyway, I come across a book review in the WSJ, and since it's about music, I ask Osmany if he has heard of any the artists mentioned, kind of a cross cultural check to see how much we have in common. The book under discussion is Love for Sale by David Hajdu. The review was written by Eddie Dean. Names dropped in the review:
  • -- Blondie - Debbie Harry
  • -- Donna Summer
  • + Bee Gees
  • + Monkees
  • -- Duke Ellington
  • -- Billy Strayhorn
  • -- Bruce Springsteen - E Street Shuffle & Born to Run
  • + Earth, Wind and Fire - Shining Star
  • + Beatles - Tell Me What You See
  • -- From the year 1914 - I Was a Good Girl Until I Met You
  • -- Cool Jerk - 1966 - The Capitols
  • -- Dave Van Ronk
  • + Bob Dylan
  • + James Taylor
  • -- Joanie Mitchell - Hejira
  • -- Foghat
I knew most of them, though 1914 was a little before my time. Osmany recognized about half the names (+). Not too surprising since, until recently, he has been in Latin America.

1 comment:

AndrewP said...

WSJ has more popular culture under Murdoch's News Corp, since 2007 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wall_Street_Journal#News_Corporation_and_News_Corp, than when I was reading my Dads copy years ago.
I subscribed to the Financial Times, it is geared to the most senior financial decision makers in the world's largest financial institutions. Nothing in it applied to my life, but I found the orange paper it was printed on amusing.
I like Popular Science and Google.