Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Military Crane

Bombay Victoria Dock, circa 1900
I'm reading Firefall by Peter Watts and it's pretty great. It's actually two of his books combined into one volume. I read both of those books before, and when I was looking for something to read I came across this volume. On one hand, it's kind of a rip-off. I've read these books before so I'm buying a second copy, except not really, because I didn't actually buy a copy of the first book (Blindsight), I read it on-line. Anyway, now I have a real printed copy of the first book and I read it again and it was great, again. Now I'm working my way through the second book (Echopraxia) and I come across a quote at the start of a chapter. I think there is a quote at the start of every chapter, but some of the quotes have dates 50 years into the future, so you know they are made up, but this one has no date, so maybe it's real. The quote is:
War does not teach us to love our enemies, it teaches us to hate our allies - W L George
Which rang a bell with me because of my recent come-to-Jesus realization that war making is an essential human activity, natural even.

Anyway, George was an English writer who lived around a hundred years ago. His first book was A Bed of Roses. You can buy a copy from Amazon, but you can also read it on Project Guttenberg. I get about halfway through the first page and he mentions the military crane at the port in Bombay India, so I go looking for a picture and while I didn't find any more about the military crane, you can see that there are a bunch of cranes at the port a hundred years ago.

No comments: