Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Misfits Rule


My dream died, and now I'm here
Sabine Hossenfelder

I enjoyed this video. I feel we are somewhat kindred spirits. When I was working with computers, I was only interested in making them work which mostly involved debugging code and connecting wires. Since there was no end to the supply of problems, I thought I could keep on doing it indefinitely. Turns out wasn't the case. Looking back, I think I was like the guy who fixes up old cars because he can, but meanwhile the world is churning out new cars as fast as they can, so there are fewer and fewer old cars, and more importantly fewer and fewer people who are willing to pay to have them repaired. Everybody wants new cars that don't require the services of a mechanic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Her expectations were from biographies of scientists who had done work to become famous enough to have a biography published, attend seminars, and sign autographs. That’s like expecting to go for Sunday drives with F1 and NASCAR top drivers. So she ended up working for a living like the little people.
xoxoxoBruce

Anonymous said...

But she IS a good physicist!