Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, April 6, 2024

Death To Google

Up until about six months ago everything was fine in Google land, but then things started getting squirrely. Keyboard and mouse responses got slower, page loads got slower. Not a lot, just enough to be annoying. Today the edit icon disappeared from this blog. The edit icon is a little picture of a pencil that appears at the bottom of each post. It only appears for your own blog.

I was messing around with the layout this morning. It didn't work, so I undid all my edits and that's when I noticed the missing icon. Frightened and confused I asked Blogger Help and found this little turd:

Since browsers can block third-party cookies by default, edit elements may no longer be visible on your blog. This is also related to the new widget management options.

I suspect that the 'new widget management options' are what's behind all my current annoyances. I will be replacing my Chromebox with a Linux box very soon. I suspect I may have to replace my browser as well. Does Netscape still exist?

4 comments:

Drake's Place said...

Do you mean the little pencil icon or the entire edit layout option?

Chuck Pergiel said...

Just the icon is missing. The whole layout page still works.

Drake's Place said...

OK, I see what you mean.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking for a browser that does NOT download pictures in webx format.
xoxoxoBruce