Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Crater Protection

Drove to downtown Portland with my daughter Friday afternoon. On our return, as we were pulling into our driveway, the engine oil light came on. Hmmmm. That's not good. I had the oil changed just a month ago, what's going on? I check the oil, it's full, and it looks brand new. I've never seen oil like that in a motor that has been run even a little ways. Oil always starts picking up dirt immediately. I look for information on the web and I find several reports about this particular engine cratering before it has 100,000 miles on it, and they all seem to be related to oil problems. The engine in Marc's Isuzu Trooper, which is also a V-6, did crater a month or two ago. I don't know if the engine is the same or not, or maybe they just used the same oil pump designer. So it's going into the shop Monday. I might be in for a $1000 oil pump replacement. If that's what it takes to keep the engine from cratering, I suppose it will be worth while. The car is a 2001 Chrysler Sebring sedan with a 2.7 liter V6.

Here are a couple of links that talk about oil sludge, which sounds like it could be my problem.
http://www.schleeter.com/oil-sludge.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_LH_engine#2.7
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_sludge

Update: Mechanic tested oil pressure and found it was okay. Sensor was leaking internally, which was causing an electrical malfunction. Replaced sensor. Bill came to $100.

Update 2: Coming home from the gas station, the oil light comes on momentarily as we pull into the driveway. Could it be this little dip where the driveway meets the road be what causes the oil to slosh enough for the oil pickup to loose suction for a second? What else could it be? This is only time we have seen it light up.

No comments: