Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Crosstalk

You know how in science fiction movies radio transmissions are always garbled? That always bugged me. I mean, you would think that if they can build giant friggin' spaceships and send them shooting across the galaxy, they would be able to make a decent radio, and with digital technology there's no reason the sound shouldn't be crystal clear.

I just got off a call with Expedia that had the most amazing amount of cross talk. I swear I could hear three or four other conversations going on simultaneously. I'm not sure the woman I was talking to could even hear me, other than things like yes and no. We never seemed to have a conversation. She would say a whole bunch of stuff, mostly just corporate filler and I would grunt in response and somehow we worked our way through the problem.

Of course, it was probably all for naught. We are talking about a flight that is scheduled for December. I got an e-mail from them last month asking me to call immediately. I did, but I never got through. I just got another emergency e-mail. This time I got through. I expect I will be getting e-mails monthly until Christmas. I think I will wait until Thanksgiving to call them back. Three months in advance of flight day does not require an immediate response.



No comments: