Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Knowledge Transfer

Iowa Andy has a new job. He's taking over a computer system that has been developed over the last 15 years by one guy, who is planning on spending the next year teaching him how it works. It got to be a bit much, so he enlisted some technological help. He reports:
    Day 35 of my work.  All is well, things are good [here], not awful. The knowledge transfer continues from the incumbent, Bob, to me. Sitting side by side at a computer going through each key click and the ramifications of each click became arduous. So I installed free Debut Video Capture,  put a mic'ed-headset on Bob and told him to go as fast as he could. My boss said Bobs not going to do that. But Bob liked it, and he is very good at uninterrupted explanation.
    Each session runs about 30 minutes. I then use Easy scribe set to 140% speed to review and transcribe Bobs dialogue. (haven't tried computer voice-text transcription,  son Nick says it took a while to train his Dragon Speak) The fast forward/reverse pause makes EasyScrib a nice tool for transcribing. 
     I append a time stamp and  important stuff to a Word Doc. I then go back though the video with Easypad and Snipit screen shots into the Word Doc, highlighting the options clicked. Finally I hyperlink the movie in the word doc. One of the 30 documents I have created, instructions for running a commissions report is 30 pages,  lots of screen shots, but still way too many steps.

No comments: