Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Screen Saver Glitch, Part 3

I think my old display is dead. That bit about the loose power cable was a red-herring. It died completely the very next day. I'm still debating whether it is worth taking apart and reassembling, because that is really all I would be able to do. I doubt whether I would find any visible damage, and I would not be able to find any invisible damage without special knowledge, like a schematic. Even with a schematic it would be a losing proposition. I probably should just add it to the pile of other broken electronic crap and prepare to cart it off to the recycler.
Right click on the desktop to get a popup menu, then click Properties which will get you this dialog box.

    I replaced it with another old one I had sitting around. It is slightly smaller and has a different screen resolution. When I plugged it in, it did not look quite right, so I checked the specs and then pulled up the screen settings and found the numbers I wanted weren't there. Huh. Oh well, this will work well enough for a while.
    Then, for some unrelated reason, I rebooted and when I went back and checked the screen settings the numbers were all different. (Cue spooky Twilight Zone music. Detroit Steve sent me the link, possibly in response to an earlier post.) The numbers for the old, higher resolution display were gone, replaced by numbers corresponding to the new monitor.
    I am still running Windows XP. My wife's old Dell started being more flaky than reliable, so we replaced it with one with Windows 7 that younger son put together. It seems to work okay. Magic Marc tells the lunch bunch that Windows 7 is the best OS he's ever used. Younger son abandoned his machine in favor of a $200 Google netbook.
    I bought another old Windows XP machine for my bookkeeper. She comes in once a week for an hour or so. I turned it off when I left for Iowa. Now I can't get it to restart. It might just be the display. I guess maybe you do get what you pay for. I might have to replace some of my ancient XP machines with new Windows 7 boxes. Grrr. That means change, and I hate change.

2 comments:

CGHill said...

"Plug and play" monitors: supposedly they tell Windows the resolutions they support, and Windows obligingly ignores any others. Never did find a convincing workaround.

Chuck Pergiel said...

Experience tells me that most stuff does not work as advertised, so I am always surprised when something does. Used to be video controllers only supported a limited set of dimensions. Apparently then can now adjust to whatever you have.