Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

WFMU


Dustbury put up a tweet from this entity, and since I've been watching The Wire recently I immediately translated these call letters into Well, F*** Me Up, which makes me wonder who would use such an acronym, so I followed the links until I got a live streaming connection and I heard something I had never heard before and that I also liked, a rare combination.

Actually, I think the last call letter stands for underground, or possibly under the influence. The first one, the W, is one of the two standards for the USA. The next two, FM, are presumably to distinguish it from all the chatter on the AM band, i.e. Frequency Modulation, the gold standard for broadcasting hi-fidelty music over the air. Kids, ask your grandparents.

Logo via Free Lab Radio.

Update August 2015: Tunein link for Chromebooks.

Update February 2022 replaced dead links.

1 comment:

CGHill said...

Just to ruin it for you: The W, of course, is geographical, and FM means, well, FM, but "U" is for Upsala College, which set up the station in 1958. The station continues as a nonprofit; the college closed in 1995 after financial difficulties.