Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, December 13, 2018

Hyundai Alternator, Again

Cutaway drawing of Alternator
It appears that the alternator has crapped out on the Hyundai again. It failed several years ago. They warned me at the time that there was an oil leak right above the alternator that I should probably get fixed. Not too long ago I took the car in for an oil change and ended up with half of an engine overhaul. One of the things they were going to fix was this oil leak. Didn't. Couple of weeks go by and it's pretty obvious from the smell and from the fresh oil covering the alternator that they hadn't fixed the leak. Turns out the valve cover was cracked. The car was in a front end accident before I got it, so the valve cover might have gotten hit in the accident, and gotten hit hard enough to start a crack that has gradually grown until it has become a real problem.  Or it might have been a flaw in the casting that was there from the beginning.

Whatever. They Fed-Ex'd a new valve cover in and replaced it, so the oil leak is fixed. However, it appears that the spirit of the alternator has gone to alternator heaven and its earthly remains will have to be removed and a new, live, alternator installed in its place.

Which got me thinking about tow trucks. (Cars break down and sometimes when than happens you are left stuck and you have to call a tow truck.) When I was younger, say 40 or 50 years ago, nobody ever called a tow truck. Nobody's car ever broke down, or if it did, you fixed it yourself, you didn't call for a tow truck, those things cost money! Nowadays I don't hear people complaining about the cost of a tow truck. My last run-in a couple of months ago cost about $100, which is chunk out of my weekly allowance, but not all that bad.

So what I am wondering is - have people in general quit complaining about the price of tow trucks, or do people still complain about the price but I just don't hear about it because I don't hang around with those folks (because I'm old)?

Update: next morning. Just started the car to take it to the shop and the red battery indicator was out. Checked the voltage at the battery and it was 13 point something, so the alternator is back on the job. The check engine light is still on, so something is not right. The Hyundai expert at my local repair shop had a heart attack last week, so they aren't going to be able to look at it till Monday. I guess I'll keep driving it and pray it doesn't die and leave me stranded and looking for a tow truck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sympathies on the demise of your alternator. Bummer!

You asked about use of tow trucks, so I'll respond with my own history: 1) 1986 - Rental car crapped out on freeway in LA area, 2) 1992 - Assumed kids broke into 1972 Buick Electra, failed to hotwire the ignition but managed to screw up the lock so badly that key wouldn't work, and 3) 1995 - Fuel system leak from 1992 Ford Taurus SHO at parking lot of recreation center. Only in one event did I pay for the tow (for the 1972 Buick) which was, as I recall, $40. Oh, wait! I failed to mention that my husband's 2014 Lincoln MKS was towed after he hit a deer last summer; but, again, insurance paid for the hauling and storage (and totaled the car).

As you mention, usually, in my 80 years of life, we've gotten along very well without tow trucks.
Cop Car