Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Money For Nothin', Part 2

I did some work earlier this year. I sent the company a bill for my time. A month later they hadn't paid me, so I sent them another bill. This time I tacked on one percent interest. I got a note back saying that my invoice had been approved but they didn't pay late charges. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Never mind the "late charges", are you going to pay the bill?

I imagine they will, eventually, but it was really annoying their quibbling about the late charges, because they are not late charges, they are interest. You borrow money from the bank, you pay interest. You lend money out, you collect interest. I did some work, I expect to get paid in a timely manner. Not paying me is the same as borrowing money from me, and if you are borrowing money you should expect to pay interest. Being as inflation is running about 6% annually, I do not feel charging 12% is out of line, especially since they are borrowing without permission. But never mind that. I need something to do, preferably something that pays.

Once again, this post is just an excuse to post a music video. I was originally thinking of Pink Floyd's version of Money, but then I stumbled across this one, which I had like completely forgotten about. I think I actually like this one better. It's clear, concise and to the point.


Money (That's What I Want)

On a related note I was thinking that the minimum wage really hasn't kept pace with inflation. The value of the dollar has gone down by a factor of ten in the last 40 years. Minimum wage back then was $2 an hour, so by rights if should be $20 an hour now. In Oregon minimum wage is $8 an hour, if you can find a job, but health insurance runs about $1000 a month, which comes out to about $6 an hour. Eight & six is fourteen, which is 70% of 20, so we are slipping, but not quite as bad as a straight wage comparison makes it look. Another factor would be whether I had health insurance back then. I can't say for sure, it certainly wasn't something I was worried about. I didn't even really think about it till I had been out of college for a couple of years.

Update February 2017 replaced missing video. This one was the clearest of the three I watched.
Update June 2019 replaced missing video.

No comments: