Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Dream

I get a message to call someone. I pick up the phone and dial, but it doesn't go through. I hang up and then try again, but when I pick up the phone there is no dial tone, just some clicks, and then a voice. It's Lloyd, the guy I was trying to call. He wants me to come over to Stevens (where he works) to look at something.

The Stevens building (in my dream) is a low profile brick structure sitting on top of a hill. There are two roads, one going up each side of the hill. There are two small parking lots at the top in front of the building, one on either side. There is no road connecting the two. They are small, room for no more than eight or ten cars each. Further, each one is divided into two lobes: one closer to the building and one further away. There is a larger parking lot (presumably for employees) half way up the hill. It spans the entire width of the hill and can be accessed from either road. All the roads and parking lots are paved with asphalt.

When I arrive it is apparent that the roads are not in pristine condition. From where I am, the right hand road looks better, but I engage the four wheel drive before heading up. The first half of the road, up to the employee parking lot is fine, but the second half is a little rough. Never-the-less, I find several other cars in the lot when I am getting ready to leave. But I am getting ahead of myself.

I talk to Lloyd about the problem. It's easy for me to fix, and I am glad to do it. Then we go look at the powdered metal casting operation. This is like a scene from a coal mine. There are several men there wearing coveralls of various colors: orange, blue, etc. They are very dirty. All are engaged in working. One guy talks to us and tells us a little about what he is doing. He has a big green box like object. It appears to be an old cast iron pump body. It is sitting on a table in front of him. He is picking up handfuls of black sand and packing it in the top of this green cast-iron box. He is packing it in really tight, jamming it in with the tips of his fingers.

He finishes with that and pushes it aside, then takes a similarly sized red thing (also an old unidentified industrial casting) and whacks it with a hammer. It cracks in two pieces. When he pulls the top piece away, a bunch of black sand falls away revealing a newly formed object in the center. It is also black like the sand. Now I notice an embossed logo, something like Epicenter, which is a company that makes a device for improving the alignment of crankshaft holes in castings like this one. Improves them up to fifty thousands of an inch, which even in my dream I realize is nowhere near enough for any of the crankshafts I have ever dealt with. But I don't know what these guys are making with this black sand, so I let it slide.

I'm getting ready to leave and there is another person also heading for their car in the same parking lot. I drive out of the lot, but someone has gotten stuck in the mud just as they start going down the hill. It appears to be some kind of race car, like a stock car or a drag racer. (Lots of aluminum in any case.) Without consulting anyone I decide to give him a little push. Now I find this car has come off of the back end of flat-bed truck. I push it onto the truck and then the truck starts rolling down hill and I'm wondering if there is anyone driving it. It manages to stay on the road and when it gets to the employee parking lot, it turns in, so there must be someone driving it. I follow him.

As we are driving by the parking lot a beer truck comes by going the other way. I'm thinking this a regular delivery and he sure wouldn't use the section of road we just came down, so he must be heading out, and he must of come down the other side, so we're going the wrong way.

Rumor has it that vivid dreams are a side effect of some drugs called statins, which are an anti-cholesterol medication. I am taking one such drug, but I am pretty sure it is not a statin. Pretty long and detailed dream though.

1 comment:

Snigglefrits said...

I like your dreams better than mine, even if they are unusual. I've been dreaming of collapsing houses & fire again lately. If you know my dream history, you'd know why those dreams start bugging me.