Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Friday, August 10, 2012

Strange Days

Angela Bassett as Lornette 'Mace' Mason
Strange Days is an OK semi-sci-fi movie. Directed by Kathryn Bigelow who also directed Hurt Locker. It's kind of old (1995) and kind of long. It's got every standard crime movie bit: Ex-cops, good cops, bad cops, thugs. It's like a warm up for Blade Runner, except it came afterwards. It predates eXistenZ, which has a lot of the same virtual reality "technology". It has a whole bunch of faces I recognized from other movies, though I didn't know all their names.

Angela BassettCan't say as I recognized her. I have known about her for what seems like forever, but I don't know why. Maybe someone mentioned her to me a thousand years ago.
Vincent D'Onofriorecently famous as Detective Robert Goren on Law & Order: Criminal Intent
Richard EdsonFerris Bueller's Day Off, Platoon
William FichtnerBlack Hawk Down, The Dark Knight, Armageddon, Crash
Ralph FiennesThe English Patient, The Constant Gardener, In Bruges, Maid in Manhattan, Lord Voldemort in the Harry Potter movies.
Juliette LewisThe Way of the Gun, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, From Dusk to Dawn
Tom SizemoreBlack Hawk Down, Pearl Harbor, Get Carter, Bringing Out the Dead, Saving Private Ryan, Enemy of the State.
Michael WincottThe Count of Monte Cristo, Seraphim Falls

Vincent gets around, and he plays some odd characters, most of which I didn't realize were him until somebody else (usually my older son) pointed them out to me. Characters like Edgar (the bug) in Men In Black, and Private Leonard Lawrence (can't do anything right thumb sucker) in Full Metal Jacket.

This makes three movies in a row that I watched this week had a white male lead and a non-white female lead. Must be the miscegenation week. Yee-haw!

Update March 2020 replaced missing picture, added labels.
Update June 2020. Here is a link to a later post about this movie.


No comments: