Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, January 5, 2014

You Get What You Pay For


Time of T-50 / PAK FA (Время Т-50 / ПАК ФА)


Since YouTube is a free service it shouldn't come as any surprise that someone else decides which videos you can watch and where you can watch them. I came across a video of the new Russian T-50 jet fighter doing some things that I wouldn't have thought possible (at the 2:40 mark it gets very interesting for about 10 or 15 seconds), and so I put together a little post and embedded the clip. Then I found out it wouldn't play because UMG said so. I did a little digging and found this story on ars-technica from a couple of years ago about how UMG has some kind of secret agreement with YouTube.
I suppose I should be glad that the great and glorious Google is looking out for me (Google owns YouTube last I heard), but somehow I don't see it that way. Makes me want to start my own video sharing service. Yeah, that's what I'll do, right after I take my nap. Oh, wait, I think I hear a donut calling my name...

P.S. I took a screenshot of the message and pasted it here. I wanted some evidence that this happened in case UMG later decides to change their mind about this video. The original image appeared to have a solid black background, and when I pulled it up in Picasa, it still showed as solid black. It wasn't until I inserted it here that it changed to the mottled gray and black snow-ish pattern. Looking back at the original embedded video it looks like dim, active "snow".

P.P.S. All this makes me wonder what UMG has against Google. I mean, I found the video on another site. You know, if I was paranoid, or a narcissist, I might think UMG had something against me personally. That would be cool.

Update September 2017. Restriction has lapsed, so I added the video.

1 comment:

Ole Phat Stu said...

Flat spin there; scary in a plane with less rudder area.

Have you ever seen a Lomcevak?