Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, June 5, 2023

Servicing "Non Serviceable" Trailer Brakes


I always wondered how electric brakes work, now I sort of know. I wonder why they gave up the old inertia switch, that seems like a better idea to me, you don't need a controller in the pulling vehicle. If you are doing a lot of towing and you always use the same tow vehicle, maybe a controller in the tow vehicle would be a good idea, but if it's just a trailer you have sitting around that you use for odd jobs, an intertial controller on the trailer seems like a better choice.


1 comment:

KurtP said...

On any trailer, on any job site I've been on- if it ever had an inertia brake, it was bent, broken or missing. Oh- farms, too.
It's been pretty standard since around (whenever the new models came out) 2013(?) that 3/4 ton and up came with a controller as standard equipment. Since those are the ones usually hauling something that needs trailer brakes.

I put a controller on the '13 Silverado 1500 for the horse trailer, but almost never use it because that's more for just keeping square bales dry anymore and if I need to haul a heavy trailer, I have the F-250 for that.