Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Electric Bicycle

IAman added an electric motor to his bicycle a while back (a year ago? Two?) and now he reports.

Latest finding on ebikes, my being near many ebike stores (& 60 years of riding bikes)

    • Disk brakes are much smoother than rim brakes,  I will retro fit my bike with a front disk, 70% of stopping force.  The rear frame would be more difficult to retrofit.
    • My midmotor aluminum ebike is more than comparable to the $3500+ midmotor bike on the market.
    • I like my ebikes 48 volt, 11 amp power, not too little, not too heavy.
    • My thumb paddle  throttle gives me the boost and control I need to overcome the inertia starting off.
    • twist grips look clean,  but are not as tactile as levers.
    • A step through frame like the Pedego Boomerang would be nice, but will have to wait for one to popup in used sales.
    •  I am used to my big soft seat,  anything harder and normal is not comfortable.
    • 20 mile range is more than enough,  any longer ride rewards me with a sore butt.
    • 24 mph is fast enough,  the wind noise becomes unbearable and I would not want a accident at that speed.
    • A cheap lightweight open top pannier is better than heavier buckled zipped expedition pannier, for <20 mile rides.
    • Riding without a bell is childish, foolish, selfish and anti social.
    • Biggest advantage to ebike is conquering hills.
    • Cafe locks look like a good idea for quick stops.
    • Lights of any sort are an improvement over possibly being missed in a shadow or darkness and ending up in the emergency room. Plus they are nice for differentiating fellow bicyclists on trails from the foliage and background distractions..
    • HiViz clothing works.
    • As much as Seattle and Portland are touted as "Bicycle cities"  Too bad, but I differ.  
    • Inclimate weather much of the year
    • Too Hilly
    • Seattle streets and bikeways too lumpy
    • Traffic calming needed
    • Seattle seems like street department cannot keep up
    • Too many cars, going too fast
    • Good news: seems drivers are more aware and courteous to bicyclists than in years past.


1 comment:

xoxoxoBruce said...

Jesus,I shudder to think of dumping a bike at 24 mph.