Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, June 25, 2023

Condottieri

Statue of Bartolomeo Colleoni by Andrea del Verrocchio

I'm reading Welcome to Fahrenheit 2023 by Jacob Howland and I stumbled over this word, sounds like something out of The Godfather, so I look it up and Wikipedia gives me an explanation.
Condottieri were Italian captains in command of mercenary companies during the Middle Ages and of multinational armies during the early modern period. They notably served popes and other European monarchs during the Italian Wars of the Renaissance and the European Wars of Religion. Notable condottieri include Prospero Colonna, Giovanni dalle Bande Nere, Cesare Borgia, the Marquis of Pescara, Andrea Doria, and the Duke of Parma.

Of the six names listed there I recognized four of them. Huh. 


1 comment:

xoxoxoBruce said...

You’re 2 up on me, I knew Cesare Borgia as the Borgia clan was really famous (or infamous), and Andrea Doria for the ship that was all over newspapers, TV, and Life Magazine when I was about 10.