Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Costco & American Express


Bart Simpson
I went to Costco with my wife yesterday afternoon. It was moderately busy and there were plenty of people giving out free samples of various foods. What was different was the carnival barker spiel coming from these sample dispensers. In the past you didn't hear much from them, maybe a low key sentence or two extolling the virtues of the foodstuffs they were handing out, but this time they were speaking up and telling one and all about the glories of their particular goop. There was even a minor battle going on between two of these hucksters who happened to be on either side of the main aisle. Kind of amusing.

The other thing was that we got a rebate check from our AMEX (American Express)/Costco card. Our bill was somewhat less than the amount of the check, and surprise of surprises, they gave us the difference in cash! I was shocked.

This AMEX card promises rebates of 1, 2 or 3% depending on where you use it. I am opposed to such schemes in principal, but I like having one card I can use for most of the times I need one. The system isn't perfect: I still have to carry a VISA card for the places that won't take AMEX.

I compared gas prices at a couple of gas stations near the North Plains exit on Highway 26. The Chevron (with Techron) station on the North side of the freeway was charging $2.28 for Plus grade gasoline, and the AM/PM "Quickie Mart" on the South side (which does not take credit cards) was charging $2.08. That's a difference of 10%. So buying gas at the easy swipe gas pump is costing me at extra $100 a year (10 gallons a week times 50 weeks times 20 cents). AMEX probably gets about $60, $30 of which they refund to me, and Chevron keeps the other $40, which they use to keep their station, and their image, nice and spiffy, which includes putting all those cute little cartoon car ads on TV.

Update January 2017 replaced missing image.

No comments: