Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, March 30, 2009

Morning Jumble

I was a little foggy this morning. I did most of the Jumble puzzle on the comics page, but there was one word I just could not unscramble. The best I could come up with was BE-HALF, and I did not recognize it as a word. At 7:25AM my younger son shows up, which must be a new world record for him, and asks me to fix him some scrambled eggs. Shoot, if he is willing to get up early, I am happy to fix him some eggs. But I need to get in the shower, I have places to go, so it's going to be microwave eggs. I get out the bowl and the eggs and I crack one into the bowl. Now I have to carry the broken, drippy shell over to the sink. I should be doing this operation next to the sink. So I move my stuff. Next egg I crack, I dump the egg in the sink and just before I drop the shell in the bowl I realize what I have done. D'oh! Finish the eggs, splash in a dollop of milk, whip with a fork, put it in the microwave with a paper plate lid. Don't want spattered egg all over the inside of the microwave. How long? You have to boil an egg for five minutes to make it hard boiled, and I've got three eggs here, let's set the timer for five minutes and go see what Google has to say on the matter. I log onto my wife's laptop and it tells me I have two programs running. As usual, Windows XP takes forever and a day to let me in. Now, how can I have two programs running? I haven't even been using this computer! Oh, some automatic update program has run into the firewall and crashed. Stupid computers. At this point I hear a soft pop from the direction of the microwave and I realize that perhaps five minutes was a bit much, so I go check. Mmmm, yes, I think maybe the eggs are done. 3 and a half minutes. Turn them over to John for consumption and go pull the dictionary to check my Jumble answer, just in case, you know, BE-HALF really is a word. Scanning the page, it is not looking good, but wait! There it is! It is a word. When you do something for someone else, you are doing it on their behalf! Cool. Off to the shower.

1 comment:

Stu said...

Comes from the German.
Helfen = to help.
past imperfect form = half.
Hence behalf.

Common root in Anglo-Saxon, around 800 ad.