Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Friday, November 16, 2012

WWII American Home Front

American PineappleAmerican MothersYB-17 Machine GunnerWoman CowlerWind Tunnel ModelWelder
Virginia the RiveterTowing a B-25Tank ParadeTank DriverTank CrewTank Commander
Soldier with GarandSilk ProcessingSecuring a Barrage BalloonScrap Metal QueenRiveting TeamRiveter
Pipe BendingPearl Harbor WidowsParachutistP-51 MustangP-51 AssemblyOld Salt
WWII American Home Front (dead link), a set on Flickr.

So this is the way Flickr works. I uploaded these photos and put them in a "set" and then "shared" the set to my blog and I got this bunch of thumbnail images. Click on any image and it will take you to the larger version. From there you can step through the whole set using the Next and Previous buttons.

I found these photos on The Atlantic dot com thanks to a link on Military Photos dot net (dead link). I thought they were pretty cool so I uploaded them to Flickr. While I am going through them, checking the captions, making up titles and so on, I discover that they are from the Library of Congress's collection of photos which is also hosted on Flickr. There are 17,000 of them. This particular group is from their collection of color photos from the 30's and 40's, of which there are 1,600.

You will notice that there are 24 thumbnails here. There are 45 pictures in the set I got from The Atlantic. I am not sure who decides which photos get a thumbnail and which don't.

Update December 2016 labeled dead links. Flickr account is dead, so no photos until I come up with a replacement.


No comments: