Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

To Google Or Not

I try to avoid customizing the user interface on my computer these days. At one point I had all kinds of shortcuts set up, special directories, this that and the other thing. And then one day I had to use a different computer, one that didn't have all my special shortcuts setup. Bah and fizzle. So that put a stop to that. Then we have the browser wars, which I never really understood, possibly because they were religious wars. Micorsoft's Internet Explorer's allowing popups, which were really annoying, is what drove me to Mozilla Firefox. Then I bought this war surplus computer and it came with Google's Chrome browser, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I mean it's already installed, let's just use it and see how it goes, and it went okay. Until yesterday, and then they upgraded it and now it shows eight of my most popular web sites on the home page. Nuh-uh, Google. I reason I use Google for a home page is because there is nothing on it, which reminds me of a minor annoyance that has been bugging me lo these many months: Chrome has no home button. When I am done with the web, I like to leave the browser on the home page. It isn't doing anything, but it's loaded and ready to go. With Chrome, I have to go through a couple of extra steps to place it in this idle state.

So I have reverted to Firefox.

No comments: