Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Pins


I'm going through my old computers, sorting the dead from the living. This one is dead, so I decide to open it up, see if just reseating some plug-in components will coax it back to life. This is what I saw when I pulled the heat sink off of the processor, or at least that is what I thought I was going. Confused the heck out of me. What is this? Looking at the motherboard I see what looks like a socket. I finally realized that the processor, through the miracle of heat-transfer goop, had stuck to the heat sink and my pulling on it had pulled all nine zillion pins out of their sockets. What's amazing is that I didn't bend any pins. I released the processor latch, pried the cpu off of the heat sink and stuck it back in the socket. It didn't help, the computer is still dead.
    There's really quite of bit of clever mechanical engineering in these machines. I mean just look at the size of this heat sink. It's massive! We're going to regret throwing all these obsolete machines away one of these days.

No comments: