Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Folding Bicycles

James May in Italy
I'm watching an old episode of Top Gear (Series 19, Episode 3 from 2013) on Netflix last night and at the very end James May unpacks a folding bicycle from his suitcase and sets off in pursuit of Richard Hammond. That was a surprise because until then I had no idea he was packing a bicycle.

Montague Paratrooper Folding Bicycle
Then today I come across an ad for this folding bike that the U.S. Military uses. Heck, two incidents in less than 24 hours, that's a blog post! Montague got a grant from DARPA to design this bike. You can buy one from Amazon for $900.
Montague Paratrooper, folded

World War I Italian Bersaglieri with folding bicycles
A little more digging turned up this picture from World War I. The coaster brake came from the military.

If you haven't had enough, here is an extensive web page about military bicycles.

1 comment:

AndrewP said...

Very cool, folding bike with large tires, I found the small tire foldable too fidgety.
But I'm waiting for the full size foldable electric at a affordable price. Foldable to minimize space in camping pickup, electric to help me up hills.