Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Friday, December 1, 2017

Tips for Studying Algebra

Algebraic Terror
Iaman has been dragged into a swamp filled with algebra. This isn't his first journey into the heart of darkness, so he is charting his path and making some notes. Will he survive? The future is cloudy, I cannot see. Should he be lost, perhaps these notes will help us avoid his fate.
Just a update and some tips to share with you.  My difficulty with Algebra is making it a priority and devoting time and attention to it.
I finished my book 501 Algebra Problems, which took a couple weeks,  set it aside for a week and realize now that I need to practice more.
Things I HAVE learned:
  • Clear my desk, then place a large amount of paper and have good pencils and erasers.
  • I work about a hour at a time, sometimes a couple hours a day.
  • Use PLENTY of paper , write the problem down on the top of sheet, then break it down, use a entire sheet of paper if needed per problem.
  • When you get stuck Google,  or YouTube the problem you are having.
  • Learn to doodle a complex algebraic equation to overtly impress friends or new acquaintances.  I started with the quadratic equation.  
You never know!
Things I think will help:
  • Find a cheat sheet (quick reference) to refer back to while doing problems, I am now using this one.
  • Do Flashcards
  • Get comfortable with the terminology,  write yourself a glossary as you learn or are puzzled by new terminology.
  • Learn a couple complex equations to impress people at the lunch counter.
I never had a problem with algebra. Does that make me a superior being? On the other hand my people skills are weak, so maybe I'm just weird.

No comments: