Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Friday, March 16, 2018

Uptight

I think I am finally learning to relax, though it isn't doing me much good. Now I have trouble sleeping.

When I was a kid I thought I wanted to make money. I finally figured out (like this week) what I really want to do is play. I have all kinds of ideas for great things I could build, but coming up with the idea is the only part I am really interested in. Actually building stuff takes work. If you are building actual, physical things, it also takes money, but writing computer programs doesn't require any money, at least no special money. The computer I use for informing the world is perfectly fine for programming. I have several ideas for computer programs that could be useful and/or entertaining, but they would take some work. What I like right now is solving these silly little programming puzzles I find on Coding Game.

A while back I remember reading a story about Dennis Rodman getting busted for shooting craps (playing dice, not shooting people) in an alley outside a pool hall (or some similar situation). This was back when he was at the height of his career as a star basketball player, and I was aghast that a professional athlete would engage in such behavior. I mean, what were you thinking, you weirdo? (He was weird from the get-go). Now I know. He just wanted to have fun.

So we have relaxed and we have uptight.


NEW * Uptight (Everything's Alright) - Stevie Wonder {Stereo} 1965
Smurfstools Oldies Music Time Machine

Uptight is opposite of relaxed, but you can't mention uptight without mentioning Stevie Wonder. But his use of the word is something completely different. It's kind of like the word "motherfucker". In can be a term of endearment for a good friend or a declaration of war against your worst enemy.



Talking Heads - Psycho Killer (1977) HQ
"I'm tense and nervous and I can't relax."

I think I got it (being tense and nervous) from my dad. I think WW2 made a lot of people tense and nervous. I remember running into people when I was a teenager and being told "don't be so uptight, man". Generally speaking these people struck me as sloppy and wasteful.

I'm a little disappointed that it has taken me this long to figure this shit out. On the other hand, would knowing who I was have changed anything? I doubt it.


Popeye The Sailor Man Intro Theme Song - Evergreen Cartoon Series of 1990s
It's not in Hindi, at least right now.

I yam what I am and that's all that I yam, I'm Popeye the sailor man. Toot, toot!

Update March 2019 replaced missing Talking Heads video.
Update November 2020 replaced missing Talking Heads video.
Update July 2022 replaced missing Stevie Wonder video.

No comments: