Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, April 30, 2018

Egg Spoons

The chef Alice Waters cooking an egg over a fire in her Berkeley, Calif., kitchen using her beloved, hand-forged iron egg spoon. - Alex Welsh for The New York Times
California Bob has a few words to say in response to a story in The New York Times:
Even moreso than someone having something that we CAN'T have...when someone enjoys something that we don't enjoy, it seems to infuriate us... even moreso than, say, someone having something we covet.

"I wish I had a Ferrari like Bob.  But Frank cooks his eggs in a weird pan! What a jerk!"  

Is this syndrome what is behind the persecution of the Christians, the hatred of fags, the mockery of "culture?"
Uniberp replies:
Wood fire smoked eggs are nice, even though the eggs themselves are corporate farming products. 

For me to be interested in one of those egg cookers, I would need to know the provenance of the coal smelters iron used, even the origin of the coal itself, plus have a notarized record of the poems memorized for recitation by the blacksmith during the forging and wielding. (note: "wielding" , not "welding). 

There, that should piss a little higher.
I think they have covered the subject well.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I have a couple of things to say about the story. I didn't read the whole thing because I have very little interest in cooking. I can grill meat on the barbeque, I can order meals at restaurants and I keep the refrigerator stocked with food that doesn't require cooking.

I'm not linking to The Times (except for the caption under the picture) because they are big stinkers and they want me to subscribe. I was only able to read this story because I am under their monthly allocation, and I am under because I avoid them because I don't want to see another one of their cut-off notices. Yes, I could subscribe, but as Tam has pointed out numerous times they are voice of East Coast stupidity. And if I subscribed to them, I might be tempted to subscribe to The Atlantic and I might start sending donations to Wikipedia and The Guardian, and then where does it stop? Pretty soon you are spending hundreds of dollars a month for stuff that you don't have time to read.

I am still waiting for someone to start a text subscription service. You pay a flat fee every month, they count up all the web sites you visit and divide up your payment accordingly. I could do it, but someone would need to convince some of these big news sites that it would be a good idea. And then I would need a small army to actually implement it.

P.S. There is some debate as to whether moreso is a valid word. Grammarist has a page on the subject.

No comments: