Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, May 20, 2024

Markette Markers

Markette Markers

Getting ready for a garage sale, my wife uncovered a box of Markette Markers. These markers must be thirty years old but they still worked just like they were brand new. Naturally I want to tell everyone about these wonderful markers, but before I do that maybe I should find out if they are still available.
Maybe, maybe not. I found several places that claim to carry them, but when you try to order them they tell you they are out-of-stock. Amazon will tell you they are Currently unavailable. There seems to be a bunch on Ebay. Who'd a thunk there'd be a market for used markers?
Dixon Markette Markers
"Their double sealed caps prevent dry-out."
Might be why ours have lasted so long.

I found some listings where they were listed as Dixon Markette Markers and some places they were marked as Eberhard Faber

Vintage Eberhard Faber Markette Marker
Green only

While Eberhard Faber might look like a combination of two names, it's actually one guy's name. There is also a Faber Castell, which I suspect absorbed our boy Eberhard, though I didn't find anyone saying so explicitly. There was an Eberhard Faber and then there wasn't. Faber Castell is another guy's name. He seems to be from the same area as ol' Eberhard, operated in the same business during the same time frame. I suppose it could have been parallel operations and one of them just died out. Weird though. Found this on Britannica:

The Eberhard Faber Pencil Company was incorporated in 1898. Although the German and American branches of the company split in 1903, the two were reunited in 1987 under the name Faber-Castell.

Websites:

More stories about pencils. 

No comments: