Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Photo Credits

I really like pictures, and since I figured out how to place them in my blog I have been using more and more of them. But with any new technology comes new problems. My recent post about Seattle had more pictures than text, which kind of screwed up the formatting. So I asked my family for suggestions and they pointed me to a couple of web sites. On one of them I learned about the <"p"> tag (paragraph). I tried it out and it helps. It didn't fix all the problems, but it at least the page is passable now, without a lot extra white space. I think if I am going to do much more of this I am going to need a second monitor.

Most of the pictures I have been using came from the internet. I used them without bothering to give credit to those who provided them. I figured that my use probably fell under the "fair use" category, meaning no one is going to notice. I would not mind giving credit for these pictures (not all are photos) if it was not such a pain.

I will typically do a search for an image, download a bunch that look promising, and then go through the pile and pick out the one that looks best. By that time, the origin of the picture has been lost. Oh, it could be recovered, but what a pain.

What we need is some way to attach credit/copyright information to a picture so that it follows it around. I know there are some people out there who would go in and remove the credit info just because they could, but I am sure there are a lot of people who use pictures who would be happy to have the credit info attached.

Oh, the picture? It was the best one I found when I searched for "photo credits". And it even has the owners name watermarked on it. Watermarking is okay here, but I usually avoid it.

Update December 2016 replaced missing picture.

No comments: