Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Immigration


I have heard several times recently about Politicians who say they are getting hammered about illegal immigration. I first time I heard this was last fall. Ron Wyden, one of our Senators, been going around the state holding town hall meetings, and he said he was surprised at how much flak he was getting on this subject. I mentioned this to my friend Jack and he was not surprised at all. He tells me that Fox news had been hammering on the subject for six months. Well, well, well, if it isn't old Rupert Murdoch throwing his weight around. He owns Fox and whole bunch of other media, in case you didn't know.

Another instance was an article by Ryan Lizza in the December 17, 2007 issue of "The New Yorker" about the Republican Presidential candidates. This time I was surprised. Of course, I don't watch Fox news, and I doubt whether anyone at "The New Yorker" does either, but maybe somebody should be. Thank goodness my friend Jack has been keeping tabs on Fox.

But maybe evil old Rupert has a point. There are a great number of illegal immigrants coming into this country from Mexico. I am pretty sure building a Berlin wall to keep them out is not the answer. I am not sure what is. Perhaps a more lenient immigration policy so we can know who and where the immigrants are. Perhaps more economic stimulus packages for Mexico so people are not so desperate that they sneak into the United States. I do not know.

How did Mexico get to be in such bad shape anyway? I like to think it was rampant corruption in the government. I worked for a guy once who thought it was because they did not have a good Protestant work ethic. They were Catholics after all. I don't buy that either. All the Mexicans I know of are working very hard so they can send money back to Mexico.

No comments: