Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, February 18, 2008

Jet

I was looking on the internet to see if I could find anything interesting about remote controls for televisions and the like and I came across this video clip:

Okay, I am easily distracted. A remote control airplane, big deal, they've been around for like forever. But with jet engines! There have been RC models that look like jets, but the last time I checked, they were all driven by piston engines. So I did a little more poking around and these days you can buy ready-to-run turbine engines and even jet powered, flying model aircraft. Granted they are a little spendy, and not all that tiny, but ten years ago they weren't even available. Even now there are dedicated nut cases hand carving turbine blades out of rare alloys.

Here's another video of the same, er similar, model airplane.
Here's an outfit that sells model jet airplanes and turbine engines.
I am not sure if this outfit makes turbines or just sells them. If they are making them you would think they would trumpet that a bit louder.
Here's a bunch of guys, er, people, making their own turbines.
This guy built an experimental Tesla turbine, amongst other things.
These guys sell commercial "microturbines".

No comments: