Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, August 15, 2020

Liver


Ferry Cross the Mersey (to Woolwich)
Jago Hazzard

I'm watching this video about a ferryboat that used to operate in Liverpool, crossing the Mersey river. They mention that Gerry & the Pacemakers did a couple of shows on board. They also wrote the tune:


GERRY & THE PACEMAKERS FERRY 'CROSS THE MERSEY
ROY STORNAWAY

It's not the same boat, but it is operating in Liverpool, and what's that big impressive building on the far side of the river?

The Royal Liver Building
Doh! That's why it's called Liverpool, it's where they pool all their livers, or some such, I have no idea, but I never made the connection between liver and Liverpool, and given that there is a big, fancy building on the Liverpool waterfront called The Royal Liver Building, I think there must be. Let's see what Wikipedia has to say:
Opened in 1911, the building is the purpose-built home of the Royal Liver Assurance group, which had been set up in the city in 1850 to provide locals with assistance related to losing a wage-earning relative.
Hmmm, doesn't sound like we're dealing with liver like you get from the butcher shop, more like someone who is alive, a liver if you will. Sounds awkward, but the English are always coming up with new awkward phrases, even if they are a century old. So Liverpool is basically an insurance company. People who are alive (livers) pool their money to deal with calamities.

We're not done yet. This evening we're watching Black Money Love, a Turkish murder mystery series set in Istanbul (naturally). We're several episodes into it. In one scene, our trio of dedicated coppers get food from a sidewalk stand and what do they get? Liver! I don't think I've had liver since I left home a zillion years ago. I certainly don't buy it, and I would have to study up on cooking it. I don't even remember what it tastes like. I have vague impressions of both being good and bad. I'll have to ask Osmany about it.


Black Money Love | Promo 
Kara Para Ask

On Netflix, in Turkish with English subtitles. 165 episodes, approximately 45 minutes each.

5 comments:

Cop Car said...

Liver: Bad if overcooked, wonderful if cooked to perfection - with lots of smothered onions on the side. Believe it or not, I learned how to cook liver, well, when a boyfriend brought elk liver to my home to cook it for me. Delicious!

mountainboy said...

If you have to cook a boat load of onions to kill the taste of liver...should you be eating liver at all? I remember the staredowns from my folks when they were forcing me to eat liver as a little kid, once I moved out of my food nazi's parents reach, my home has been a "liver free" zone.

Chuck Pergiel said...

I wonder if there is a genetic component to liking the taste of liver, or whether it is a matter of how it is prepared. My friend Jack, for instance, cannot abide celery. I don't much care for it, but it's tolerable. My wife likes onions but cannot stand pickles. I like pickles, mostly, but a little bit of onion goes a long way with me. I could get along fine if the world suddenly became onion free. Of course, then we would probably be plagued by onion zombies.

Cop Car said...

Mountainboy--The onions are cooked separately and are in no way meant to "cover the taste of". They make a great side dish.

Chuck--It is a fact that our taste buds give us different readings. When I was taking training to become an state ombudsman for a nursing home, this was illustrated to us by a hands-on taste test demo. We were given bits of paper (looked similar to litmus strips) and told to have a drink handy. At a signal, each of us put the paper on our tongue. Immediately some of the people started gagging and spitting, complaining about the vile taste of the paper. Me? It tasted like a piece of paper. The point of the exercise was to give us reason to believe what nursing home residents told us about the foods served to them.

My personal bridge-too-far is parsnips which I was forced to eat as a kid. Similar to Mountainboy's home, ours is a parsnips free zone.

uniberp said...

It's not an insurance company. It's a mutual.