Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, August 18, 2020

AMEX NBA Ad


NBA | Trade Up | American Express
American Express

I was watching a bit of NBA basketball this evening and this ad showed up at halftime. I laughed out loud! I couldn't imagine anything more ridiculous: trying to recruit credit card customers by offering them free trade ins on their favorite players basketball jerseys. Or maybe that's just the viewpoint of someone who is too much of a cheapskate to be a fanatic basketball fan.

I never cared for clothes that carried a logo or a name. Possibly I got it from my mother: why should you pay for clothes that carry advertising? They should be paying you to wear their clothes.

Whatever. Obviously I am not one of the cool kids. I suppose wearing these kind of clothes is sort of the same kind of thing as standing in line at Starbucks to get your morning fix of caffeine - it gives people a sense of belonging. People need something to believe in. Me, I believe I'll have another drink.


1 comment:

Chris said...

You are not the target demographic. Neither am I. That's why I don't watch ads. There is almost nothing advertised on TV that is relevant to me. No books, no electronics, no (information-containing) car or truck ads. Why would a network advertise a hockey game during an auto race? Granted, there may be lots of people who like both but I suggest it's not a winning move and it annoys the hell out of me.